Thursday, April 17, 2014

Maundy Thursday: "On Us and On Our Children"

Tonight we had a Maundy Thursday service. We spent time in song, in the Word, in prayer. We remembered the Last Supper. We came to the table.

[Dave Mulder, CC BY 2.0]
At our church, I come forward to take part in the sacrament. I take the bread, and one of our shepherds (elders) says, "This is Christ's body, broken for you," As I dip it into the cup, another reminds me: "Christ's blood, poured out for you." I love that at our church, my kids come forward with me; they need to see this. This is for them too. This is faith-formation.

We move back to our seats, join the congregation in song. In remembrance. In joy!

Later, we continued the story of Christ's passion. Prayer in the Garden. The arrest. The mockery and trial. Finally, we come to Pilate.

One of the worship leaders reads from Matthew's gospel:

“What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called the Messiah?” Pilate asked.

They all answered, “Crucify him!”

“Why? What crime has he committed?” asked Pilate.

But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify him!”

When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “It is your responsibility!”

All the people answered, “His blood is on us and on our children!”

I am struck by these words: "His blood is on us and on our children."

How true!

We are covered.

I am covered. My kids are covered.

This is faith. This is faith formation.

Grace and peace to you all this Holy Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment